Saturday, May 14, 2005

Masters Of The Universe

I've really never told anyone this before, but when I was younger my first gig was to do a toy design for the Masters Of The Universe line of toys. I was asked to come up with a new character. A good guy.
This was my finished concept:



"Fitso".
He was into fitness and health. He was the one who helped He-man and his mates train and exercise. THATS how they got so buff!

But as these gigs turn out, after it left my hands the Big-Wigs of Mattel wanted to alter the concept to fit their marketed target audience. I know there're a few commercial artists etc who read this, so you know where I'm coming from. Creative changes by people who aren't creative go with the gig.

And with a small tweak of the name, they released "FISTO"!


Purple-sword weilding, trendy-sleevless stripey top, Bear-beard, iron-clad quantlet of man-love! A gay icon was born!

Not my original intention with the character. But you know what? I don't mind it too much.

1 comment:

The Frase said...

Would you believe I've been saving this GAG up all year??
And when i finally feel it's ready to be unleashed...... not ONE comment!!

What? To High brow for you guys? Or was the gag overbaked? Did i spend to long working on it?

Or.... or are you all still rolling around the floor in hysterics? Your minds been blown to soo much putty that you can't co-ordinate hands to typing Huzzah's for THE most whimsical jape of the year???!!