Thursday, May 05, 2005

I've Been called!

Ok. For JONES! Cos he wanted to know and he be my bitch!

1. Total number of films I own on DVD/video: 90 dvds/45 vhs

2. The last film I bought: Family Guy season 2. But thats not a FILM, it's a tv series. So Count Basie: Swingin' The Blues. But THATS a doco, so Beastie Boys: The Criterion Collection.But again, thats NOT a film. But I seriously can't remember what the last "Film" I bought was.

3.The last film I watched: 24 Hour Party People. Watched it with a classy lady who was also THERE back in the day! (actually she WAS there, over in Europe. I came in a few years after.) We polished off a bottle of gin while watching!

4.Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (just five?):

I. Conan The Barbarian: I could and probally should go on about why this movie is the BEST! The Oliver Stone script? The CLASSIC James Earl Jones performance? the gut shaking soundtrack? The Wenching? The sword fighting? The deep philosophical commentry? The Riddle of Steel?
But I am Cimmerian and I do not have the words. So READ writes for me!

II. Ferris Bueller's Day Off: I've written elsewhere here about this movie. Perfectly made, very funny John Hughes movie. They just DON'T make teen movies like this anymore! Wayne Newton song and dance number at the end. This film reminds me that sometimes you HAVE to play hookie and just get as much FUN out of a day as you can! ANd that friendships are important, but, like life, they move on. Sometimes so fast that you NEED to stop and look around!

III. Big Trouble in Little China: Another faultless film from the 80's. Probally the first and best Chinese-American culture crossover. Contians EVERY Chinese-American bit actor!Kurt Russel OWNS his role as Yanky tough guy Jack Burton, who despite his never-ending tough guy outlook finds himself in a world he just can't understand!! John Carpenter MASTERPIECE! (also my youngest brother would watch this film EVERY MORNING without fail at 7am for 2 months solid when he was but 4 years old!)

IV. Out Of Sight: based on my favourite Elmore Leonard book and a great filmic adaption my style master Steven Soderbergh! Stars George Clooney (who i have a man-crush on) and Jennifer Lopez (who actually ACTS! No, really!). Great soundtrack. just awesomely acted and directed. Sly, sexy, stylish and funny! Perfect Elmore Leonard on celuloid!

V. High Fidelity: Not my most favourite film, but i find myself constantly going back to watch it. It's about music and chicks and music geeks and making mixed tapes etc. And I can watch Jack Black non-stop. And John Cusack's character IS the C-Man!

5. Which five people am I passing the baton onto? And why?
Don't know if I can come up with 5 people. BUT:
1. Dogpossum! Cos she's full of feist and opinons and great taste!
2. Bob. But he don't blog or lj. So Boz, feel free to use my comments section.
3. Duncs. Likewise. Use my comments. But he don't check interweb till next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out Of Sight! Excellent call in a sea of rad awesome excellence!

We should have a slumber party and watch ONLY Kurt Russell films directed by John Carpenter!

So that would be, umn, FOUR...

-Jones

The Frase said...

Kurt Russell + John Carpenter =
Big Trouble
Escape from NY
Escape from LA
The Thing
??

All EXCELLANT choices for a slumber party!!

5 not enough?

I dunno. The first 4 were real easy but I found myself struggling to pick a #5. There are a few that I shortlisted for the slot.
Millers Crossing, Deadman, Tombstone, Good bad & Ugly, Army of darkness, Nightbreed, Malcom X, Hard Boiled, Man From Snowy River, Top Gun, Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, O Brother Where Art Tho? etc etc

But I went with High Fidelity cos i do watch it often.

Anonymous said...

We should write a letter to John Carpenter and blackmail him into making a Snake Plissken v Jack Crow (Vampires) v Nada (from out of They Live) smack down fillum so that we can complete our manly slumber party in FINE style!

-Jones

The Frase said...

I forgot Vampires was Carpenter. Rock! Haven't seen They Live. Good?

And what do we have on Mr Carpenter that we can blackmail him with?

Anonymous said...

well I thank the Scott for the spot. opinions are something I am never short on. occasionally much to my chagrin. five films…

screaming at me has to be Apocalypse Now. yes it is a clichéd top five film I know, but I know the book (and love it) it is based on well (Conrad’s Heart of Darkness) – Frank was pretty true to Conrad’s intentions for mine - and the war genre takes us so deep into the dark heart of humanity to start with. The isolation, desperation and power this film draws out of the viewer. and who can dispute Sheen’s performance – I don’t care about the fucking academy or any other award bizo, that was one of the finest pieces of whatever the right word is (method or some such) acting you’ll see. and the mystery of Brando as Kurz. real life fictional life blurred. big sound, big thumping heartbeats…yeh that’s what movies do better than other literatures
what else…
another classic top fiver, (dare I ask for all three) the Godfather series. again a clichéd choice, but look, screw that shit. These films leave me aghast every single time. Mario Puzo’s novels blow me away and so do the films.

ok ok lets go controversial. Man Bites Dog. brilliant, but no. Last Tango in Paris (my sister was a film student not me, but she brought this little sucker home and bOOM, or is that bum…)…Argento’s Suspiria. almost there…Closely Observed Trains (yes look it up geezers)…not quite…

because I cannot deny the hopeless idealist romantic in me. yes I know people will hate me for this (but surely not as much as Scott for his looney Clooney crush – Scott he sucks ass ok – and anyway he’s too nice for you).
Roberto Benigni’s La Vita y Bella (Life is Beautiful). Do I have to explain myself??? I belive in the power of imagination. I belive the kernel of goodness in humanity can survive the burning hell of the human abyss. we are evil we are goodness. we are able to carry on. and that kind of shit.
but I love the touch Roberto gives – the way he takes the ‘holocaust’ and lends a mythological romantic air only fifty years hence. whatever – some love and many hate this film. I love it. PS: he does get credit for tiptoeing to the academy’s stage on the back of the good and the greats chairs at the ceremony too ;>

three down two to go…I could cop out and say Alien, Empire Strikes Back, or yes Conan The Barbie is up there chaps, but no…

hang on…
is it…Trainspotting. something more modern yet deep in emotional scope. something snappy, funny, touching, AND heavy. Yeah, I’ll go with this for now.
but as for the final installment. I am not yet ready. I must centre my thoughts.

have a great weekend you lot – out ;>
Robin.

The Frase said...

Robin= SHAZAM!!!

Anonymous said...

'They Live' is excellent low budget paranoid conspiracy hokum.

And mullet wearing Scots wrestling superstar 'Rowdy' (Frogtown) Roddy Piper gets to intone the immortal line:

'I've come here to kick ass and chew gum.

...

And I'm ALL OUT OF GUM!!'

Of course, I haven't seen it since I was fifteen...

-Jones