Friday, May 20, 2005

1-2, 1-2. This is JUST a test!

Madness at Casa del Frase.
I've been DRAWING!
But get this- I've been inking! Like with REAL ink! Not digitally!
But, but.... I used a BRUSH!! A BRUSH!!!

Madness?

It gets worse....

I used PHOTOSHOP to colour!!
MADNESS!

For those keeping score at home, i usually just do a quick pencil sketch then either import it or trace it (with my wacom tablet) into Flash. Then i do a spiffy, clean, crisp vector artwork.
(Back in the old skool days I used a dip-pen for my inking.)
But not the last few days!

Ths is my first ever Mexican wrestler:

I was meant to be sketching something else, but this big-guy took control of my pencil.)

Notice the shoddy, shaky line work?
This is a lesson in what NOT to do:
1. Don't use an old, busted up bristle.
2. Don't rush it.
Oh yeah, i drew and inked him on tracing paper.
If i was doing this in Flash, i could've fixed up the shonky line work. As we say in the broadcast industry, "we'll fix it in Post".



These are JUST my first sketches for the Toon Buggy anthology. My story is about a young up and coming fashion designer. IN SPACE! The bald dude is her stressed out, fruity boss. (I've got to make him more fruity). He's based on my neighbour.
This is NOT the style I intend to use to colour it. I was just playing around.

And finally:

El Scorchio. Euro-trash sex god.
The boss wants some changes on him tho. A thicker moustache. Maybe longer hair.

So all in all, I liked using the old ink and brush. May break out the dip pen instead.
Photoshop- mehh.
Kinda fun, but the file sizes are soooo big and clunky.

2 comments:

The Frase said...

hey Tonia,
Yeah, for real. My first Mexican wrestler! I've been so caught up in working commercially that I've forgoten what it's like to just draw cool fun stuff.
More wrestlers to come!

Anonymous said...

mexican wrestlers = A1.

i like the squiggly lines. this way you're keepin' it street. dawg.