Thursday, February 24, 2005

Your guide to a better Life 101

I arrogantly consider myself what my mum would call "self-aware".
That is, I have a pretty strong (self-deluded) confidence and direction in myself.
I've never read a philosophy book in my life. Freud,I know, digs dick. And his mum. But that's about the extent of my philosophy learning.
What wisdom I possess I've gathered from your 20th C thinkers.


And 80's movies.


There are 1 or 2 in particular that I've seen and gleamed a little bit of insight that has helped me make sense of this fucked up world.

FERRIS BUELLERS DAY OFF
is one such film.
This line has helped me form my personal political stance:
"ISM'S in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an "ism". He should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon- " I don't believe in The Beatles. I just believe in me."
Good point John.
After all, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus. I'd still have to bum rides of people.
"- Ferris Bueller.

I, too, have to bum rides of people.

And then there is this tasty line:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you can miss it."- Ferris Bueller

Which is where I am at.
Busy, busy, busy.

Spent this week in at the animation studio, storyboarding. It's a good, tight, funny script. Monkeys, ducks, elephants & tropical cocktails. Slapstick violence and fart jokes. For kids.
Should be finished with it early next week. Then I've got a 'boarding test for a gig in Melbourne.
Then I've got the 8 page Dudecoat story with The C-man. The story that'll get us unlimited VIP pass into the Pantheon of the Gods.
Then I must update my website. Then I've gots to paint for the "Dribbly Penis"(working title) all-man exhibition later in the year.
Then there is Illustration Fridays, that I keep on attempting, but haven't finished in time.
Here is a sketch I did the other week on the back of a phone bill while sitting in a gutter waiting for a friend to get home. The theme was "Flight".

Thats not even mentioning my extra-curricular activities. Amongst other things, there is a supoib jazz festival hitting Hobart this weekend. Some of the countries best jazz musicians will be kicking out the jams!

And I still have my discussion of The Auto-biography of Malcom X to write for this blog. I also have a whole Masters of the Universe gag to use somewhere here as well.
Like Ferris says, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you can miss it."

And although I only saw it the once, something Johny Depp's character in Don Juan DeMarco said about the nature of women struck a profound chord in me. But it's something too sappy even for me to retell.

The other movie that has formed a big part of my outlook on life is Conan The Barbarian. Seriously.
But thats for another time!

I think it was Frank Sinatra who said "I'm for whatever gets you through the night."

No comments: