Friday, November 11, 2005

The Watch

A few years ago, back in 1999/2000 I was approached by Christian Read to co-create and draw his superhero story The Watch. It was to be the first book published by phosphorescent Comics, a company being started up by Christians' mate, Ben Howard.

I did the first 2 issues to mixed results. If I was to be honest and fair, everyone involved were still very much learning on the job. Sparks of brilliance and newbie mistakes!

I don't have anything to do with the book or phosphorescent anymore. (except there is a picture of me on the website). I have almost total emotional detachment from these characters that I helped create. I used to have a credit of co-creation in the books, but from memory thats gone. Both Christian and I (and the following artists) have no ownership on any of our creations. Christian has become a really close friend and one of my favorite creative-partners. The book, The Watch, has gone from strength to strength. Same with Ben's company. I actively buy their products as they're pretty rad!

But I read on C-mans lj that former Friends star Matt LeBlanc (Joey) is producing a sci-fi horror movie set in the second world war called The Watch. The name of the bad guy in the comic (Abaddon) is the same as in this movie.

Coincidence???

2 comments:

The Frase said...

For the record, I believe it is purely coincidental. "The Watch" is an extremly common term. The Watchmen, StormWatch, The Watch Tower etc,

And Abaddon is indeed not a made up name.

You are right Tonia, it does sound like The Keep. I don't really expect Matt LeBlanc to be involved with anything remotely original.

Reading C-mans lj just got me thinking about my history with The Watch. People were talking (half-jokingly) about sueing and getting big fat cheques, but truth is the creators (myself and Christian) would not see a cent as ownership was signed over to Phosphorescant.

Anonymous said...

Hey, and it was raining today too.

- Stephen K.