Friday, April 15, 2005

TUNES Part 3

Because i've been a good boy lately and felt the need to be a bad boy, I went and spent money I do not have on new tunes.
When in Sydney I love to visit my parents local Borders. They have a large selection of jazz and what not.
From Borders I got:
.

The Proper label are highly sort after releases of old skool swing of great quality. Gene Krupa- Modern musics first ROCK star! $15! (if you are interested in dabbling into this era of swing- then the Proper collections are all highly rated.)

.

Dan The Automator. The man behind Gorillaz, Deltron 3030, Lovage, Kool Kieth (Dr Octogon) and many other albums. This is a trip into his music collection! Really great! A hefty $30!

.

The Incredible Jimmy Smith! Funky-arse blues/jazz hamond organ player! Fantastic music that makes one shake their arse. Feel very fortunate that every saturday night in Hobart I can shake my booty to a band that sound very much along these lines!
$21- 12 tracks!

.
This is an interesting cd. A three piece vocal group scatting and soloing in place of the instruments. Doing Basie! Backed by the best rythum group in history- None other then the Basie rythum group-Freddie Green (guitar), Eddie Jones (bass) & Sonny Payne(drums). From the one listen I've had, I quite dig it, but I think it could get a bit annoying. One of the vocalists (haven't worked out which one) sounds like Louis Prima. $29.

The other cd I was specifically after was the new Handsome Boy Modeling School, but Borders had it for $30 and I knew I'd seen it for cheaper else where. So I went to HMV.
They had it for $33, so I didn't buy it there. HOWEVER- as I was walking past their sale table this neat Count Basie album caught my eye and screamed- "YOU NEED ME!"
Well, for some of the best early basie recordings for just $10- how could I say no?
I also picked up a Boogie Woogie album for just $3! Turned out to be really cool. Stuff from 1938-1940. 20 tracks! A prize buy!
Also got an HMV Jimmy Smith collection for 5 bucks.

(as I was making my purchase, the guy serving me complimented me on the Jimmy Smith album. I recognized the voice (it was an amercian accent) and took a good look at him. Then I recognized him. I went to school with him! A cool guy who I used to talk comics and music with. He now managers the HMV).

Any other mere mortal may have had their music thirst sated.

But NOT me!

I still had to get the Handsome Boy album. I went to Myers where, after checking all of the relevant "catergories" (Rap, dance etc) I found it in the "Rock" section.


For $24.99!
.

HOT!

---------------------------------------------------
WHILE I THINK OF IT:

Those crew who were at the Sherlock in Melbs earlier on this year? Remember that conversation about the Fraser/Holgate version of Sin City film? I'm minutes AWAY from getting my hands on it.

OH YES!!!

1 comment:

The Frase said...

I've found the master U-matic tape, but have yet to find the vhs copy. Does anyone have a u-matic player that they can transfer from?