Monday, April 04, 2005

Stuff

ROCK THE HOUSE:
The party was a roaring success!
I started playing at 8pm as people were arriving. Just spinning some nice 1930's swing. To be honest I was a tad skeptical about how long could do it for and how much the crowd could stand. I found out later, that the crowd were also intitally dubious about how much swing they could tolerate.
And I should mention how classy the crowd were! All dressed up in their glad rags in a fantastic beach party house!
But as the music and cocktails started to take it's effects on the party vibe, I was able to pick up and run with it.
People were going crazy on the dancefloor and applauding for the songs I'd just played.
I had strangers and non-jazzers alike come up and tell me how much they were enjoying the music.
I didn't stop playing until after 3am! (I probally could've gone for longer but by that stage I was pretty tuckered out).

Started at 8pm. Finished at 3am.

Thats 7 hours non-stop! Nothing but swing! To a crowd that were not swing dancers, or listeners of jazz!

I had a very fun night, indeed!


COMICS:
I was just perusing the internet and came across this old interview I did back in 2001. If you're interested at all about comics, the Australian comics scene, the creative process or simply about what was occupying my thoughts back then, then have a squeeze. Probally one of the better interviews I did.
Needless to say I was alot younger back then.

I've been lent Paul Popes "THB" series and am digesting that. Very nice stuff. Quite inspiring actually.

MOVIES:
ROBOTS- See Douglas review of it. My thoughts are quite similar.
ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD- Brilliantly witty! Hamlet is my all time favourite Shakepeare. Been meaning to see this film for ages. It's got Tim Roth & Gary Oldman in it! Tim Roth & Gary Oldman! Did I mention the wit?
DIE HARD 3: DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE! - (saw it at the movies years ago, but rewatched it)I really like Die Hard (the first). It ranks up there in my favourite action movies. No.3, while riffing on the same refrain is an enjoyable action flick. The ending dragged out a little to much tho.

TV:
THE OFFICE: THE XMAS SPECIALS (watched on dvd).
The unfulfilled relationship between Dawn & Tim has got to be every bit as painful to watch as any cringe worthy act from "the boss", David Brent! I was genuinely moved at the happy ending of these episodes where they finally get together.

OZ- My favourite tv show at the moment! This HBO Amercian prison drama is the only tv I watch (aside from Home & Away). Hard core, gritty drama that scares the shit out of me. Monday nights on SBS.

MUSIC:
Trying to be good so I haven't bought anything new for awhile. (except the Lucky Millander cd the other week).
Been listening to some old stuff lately. Stuff that I used to really be into but haven't given a spin for ages. Blur & Ministry (Psalm 69= fucking awesome album!) really stand out.

JOHNNY CASH: AMERICAN IV: THE MAN COMES AROUND. I can't find this disc!!! It would be aural heaven for me right now, and I cannot locate the disc!!!
Don't suppose I lent it to anyone reading this, did I? If so, can I please have it back? Tah!

No comments: