Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The worlds fucked.

So I have these 2 old friends. They were high school sweethearts,and got married at the age of 22. They were my best friends for awhile. A few years back, my life was pretty shitty, and they were always there for me. I practically lived at their house.
In the past few years we drifted apart. They moved to the Blue Mountains, I moved to an island at the bottom of the world.

At xmas I received a letter from them care of my parents. They'd given birth to a 2nd child. A boy, Hugo Maximus.

A few weeks after his birth, they found out he was suffering from a mega rare disease that affects one in a million. Only 4 other kids in Australia have this condition. They know next to nothing about it. It's a genetic disorder that affects the brain. I don't really know too much about it, but it fucks you up. Big time.
Poor little Hugo will have a very limited live span. We're talking months. While he's mind is firing on all cylinders, nothing else is. He is 7 months old and only weighs 4.5kgs.
The mothers younger brother had the same condition and died from it.

So anyway, I spoke to them today. They said today was a good day for them. I could hear him in the background. The father told me this is the hardest thing in the world he's ever had to go through. My heart broke for them.

About an hour later I got a call from another old, old mate. Some of you may know him. Daniel Ip. One of Sydneys premier playboys and party guy.
When he was in Europe over the Christmas period he called my mobile at 5am so I could hear him shoot a berreta pistol into the hotel toilet bowl.

Anyway, hearts are breaking all around the world as he is now engaged to the only woman who can keep up with him and keep in line. The totally hot chick Anna!

Tonight at the pub I'll be quietly raising the glass to my friends in celebration and commiseration.

Oh yeah- almost forgot. Somehow I stumbled across the website for my 10 year High School reunion. Class of 92. So these photos were from 2002. I wasn't in the right city to attend, and I'm kinda glad I didn't.

North Sydney prats. They all have a hollowed look to their faces. Thats what you get for selling your souls. (Actually there were about 3 people there who I'd love to catch up with.)


Current song: "10 Storey Love Song", Stone Roses

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rockin' Scottin

shame bout the kid. didn't know.

since D and Anna have been engaged D has only complained about the fact that Anna is getting her way a lot more nowadays...that makes me laugh...coz it ain't gettin any better mate!

The Frase said...

You crazy kids!!
Don't you know that getting hitched is like taking one step in the grave??!!

Nah, I jest! I think it's swell about D & Anna. Was only a matter of time.

And yeah, it does truly suck about little Hugo.