Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Nacho Libre

Saw this film last week. Was very much looking foward to it- but it pretty much sucked.

About 30 mins into it, Ainslie asked me "Is this movie for retarded people?" .

There were one or two funny moments, some nice wrestling sequences that were over too quickly, and maybe 3 touching moments. The rest was sluggish- if not offensive.
Afterwards I remarked to Ains that it reminded me alot of Napoleon Dynamite. The stilted camera direction, the boring set ups of jokes, and probally most disturbingly, it's racist/stereotypical portrails of Mexicans as ugly, lazy, slow-witted beaners...

The next day I found out it was written and directed by THE SAME GUY- Jared Hess!
Ok- I thought- the guy must be Mexican.
But he ain't. He's a film school graduate from UTAH.....

So, like, WHAT UP Hess??!!?!
Whats his deal?

I didn't really like Napolean Dynamite. The plot was pretty good- but the film was flat, boring and droll.
SAME FOR NACHO LIBRE.
It had GREAT FILM written all over it. JACK BLACK + MEXICAN WRESTLERS!!! Hell, it even had cute kids that were ill-used. But nope. Fell totally flat.
I think this review sums up my thoughts on it pretty accuratly.

2 comments:

The Frase said...

I think it was a case of the film not trying hard ENOUGH.
This Hess-character went in with the same headset as his other movie- when really he should've been trying differant things.

What IS his deal? Can anyone explain it to me?
I read an interview... but didn't really give me any insight to where he was coming from.

Zot said...

Thanks for the review, frase, I will skip it. I quite liked Napoleon Dynamite, but it was definitely a slow burn. The dance scene was memorable, if a little predictable. Could it be that this appeals to people (like me) who were brought up on daggy TV shows like The Brady Bunch, slowly but steadily learning to treat 70s neomoralism with the the distaste it deserves? ND was kind of a tongue in cheek rejection of all of that crap for me. Jack Black was very much at home in School of Rock, which is surely his best movie yet. I had high hopes that Nacho Libre might be amusing, at least...