Monday, September 04, 2006

Death of a Crocodile Hunter



Y'know what?
I am genuinely upset about the death of Steve Irwin.
When I first saw his show a few years ago my immediate reaction was "What a dickhead".
But then I watched another episode and I GOT IT.

I've always been an animal lover- inparticular Australian reptiles and I salute the job that Steve did in boosting the publics perception of how beautiful, interesting and important these animals are. He showed that what people regard as "maneating monsters" are really misunderstood, fearful animals that need to be treated with respect and protected.

The work he did for conservation causes was phenomenal.

The work he did internationally for Australia was also huge.

He copped a lot of flack for his perpetuation of the Ocker Australian- but you know what? ALOT OF PEOPLE IN AUSTRALIA TALK LIKE THAT.... Rarely with such passion, warmth and excitement though.......

His death was very surprising and shocking, but I'm glad that he died at the hands of a wild animal rather then, say, hit by a bus.

That little stingray with the unlucky strike of it's tail should remind us that humans do share this world with other creatures. Even if you've wrestled crocodiles, wrangled boa-constrictors or danced with king cobras- if you are in their environment then treat them with respect.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ditto.
a sad day.
albeit a cliche he died doing what he loved and one imagines he would have it no other way.
luv ya work Stevo
yours to Scotty ;>
robin.

Mark Selan said...

i think its always sad when someone enthusiastic and 'passionate' about anything dies young because you get the feeling 'whatelse could they have done, how could they have changed the world'. Watching him interviewed on Denton last night made him seem so real, even such a large character he was still quite geniune.

The Frase said...

I saw him interviewd on Denton way back when becuase I was really interested in seeing whether the onscreen steve was the same as the offscreen.

And yep, he was!

(I also have read some disgusting opinions from the latte-sipping sect)

Just saw that Channel 9 have released the video footage of the actual attack.....

...and speaking of films, I'm now keen to watch his movie- Collision Course. I was quite curious about it the time but never got a chance to see it.

The Frase said...

Oh yeah, the other thing I was going to mention was if you dig Steve Irwin, then keep an eye out for another herpotologist-fanatic following in his footsteps: AUSTIN STEVENS!

I think he's South African, but he does a great show. Same deal as crocodile hunter- but higher production values and better camera work.

Check it:
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/austinstevens/austinstevens.html

Anonymous said...

His genuine enthusiasm was very inspiring. Yeah, a real sad loss.