Friday, June 10, 2005

The problem with comics..

I know I said I wasn't ever going to get angry about comics, but.....
This morning I went to my local comic shop to pick up whatever I had waiting for me.

I got 3 books.

100 BULLETS. A political conspiracy story in the crime genre.


DAREDEVIL. While taking it's roots in the superhero world, it's recently become much more of a crime/pulp real-life feel with very gritty and realistic art.


WALKING DEAD. A zombie-world survival story that focuses more on the human relationships of a bunch of people and how they deal with love, family and morality issues under extreme pressure and circumstances.


I remarked to the guy behind the counter that I wasn't buying as much as I used to, and he then tried to push the new GREEN LANTERN onto me.



That's whats wrong with Western comics today on so many levels.

2 comments:

Mark Selan said...

Of course someone who is picking up 2 crime books and a thriller title would be interested in Captain Goodytwoshoes and his Magic Ring. i'm surprised he didn't recommend House of M as well.


(i swear i've seen a photo of a sweaty ross in a phantom suit)

The Frase said...

Before he sugested Green lantern, he tried to push the new Alex Ross DC book. I think he said it was The JLA vs the best 7 villians in the DC universe or something.
I told him that Alex Ross creeps me out. Thats when he pushed Green Lantern.

WARNING: INDIE COMIC SNOB WHINE:

The things that got me "raged" was firstly, that here I am, a long term fan of the comic medium, and the best the Industry has to offer me is a new Green Lantern story. (By "New" they mean a 30 yr old character "returning" into his old costume. Thats a book thats published every month for the last 30 years, and the only new thing about it the main character whacks on his old threads!)
And The Justice League fights some bad guys, painted in creepily-fetish fashion.

THATS whats billed as ground breaking and HOT!!??

The other thing that "Raged" me was this retailer sooo missing the mark. It's not a personal attack against him, (although last time i was in there he took 20mins of my LIFE
away by discussing the new Superman movie and how the 'S' was too small on his costume. That I don't appreciate), but it's indicitive of the whole comic thing.
WHY do i have to be interested in DC/MARVEL superheros just because I like comics??!!

WHY??