Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Transport.

At first glance the trams seem like a pretty cool mode of public transport- but they soon loose their appeal. They're slow, expensive and don't go across town.

The city if Melbourne is very bike friendly. It's very flat, has wide roads, every 2nd street has a bike lane and there's ample bike racks to chain your bike up.

A few of our friends use bikes as their main mode of transport.

HOWEVER- when we first moved here I was quite hesitant to get a bike.

Why? Well, do you remember awhile ago when I stated that I had no phobia's?
It turns out that's not entirely true.
Seems like I WAS afraid of something after all.


HELMET HAIR!!!


The more I thought about this, the more I became anti-bikes! I was familiar with the related HAT HAIR "condition" (we don't call it a disease).
I spoke to a few people about this. Sam suggested I just get a helmet friendly haircut. That way I could still look cool AFTER I took the helmet off. Garth rode sans-helmet, letting his long locks blow in the wind flaunting the law and his safety. Others were happy to put up with helmet hair.

One night though- I had to ride a friends bike. And it was very fun! So I cracked!

Not long after I bought a chop-shop bike from some little guy in our neighbourhood. It's a wicked looking thing. And it only cost me $40!!!

I still wasn't committed to the idea of riding it WITHOUT a helmet, but nor was I over my fear. I hesitantly rode it around the quiet local streets- until I ran over some glass and popped the tire! While it was out of commission I discovered how much freedom it offers for getting places. So when I had the tire fixed- I bought myself a helmet.

I'm certainly not convinced that bike helmets look good on anyone- but I don't really care much.

Although I have since gotten a helmet-friendly haircut- so everythings good in the hood, yeah?
Got my bi-cycle action on!

Except, I ran over a metal splinter that pierced my tire and inner tube. Again!

The futility!!

$20 later and I'm mobile again!

No comments: