Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Night at the proms



While in the UK, we're always up for trying new things and taking advantage of where we are and what we can do. So when Ainslie asked last night over dinner if I wanted to go to the PROMS she was a little bit taken back by my flat out refussal.
When I asked her in a cynical (and probally really rude way) "why would I want to go?"

She replied that we could sing "Royal Britania", "God Save The Queen" and some other English traditional gospel songs that I forget. We get to wear silly hats and get drunk.

I can honestly see why Ains would want to go to this. She is a trained opera singer, comes from English lineage and likes to drink.

Where as I... well, I'm not that big on classical & don't like English gospel (from what I've heard). Also the United Nations have placed a BAN on my singing. I'm not even allowed to sing in the shower.

I despise "silly hats".

But I am also strongly anti-English Empire.
I think Scotland should be autonomous. Ditto Wales and North Ireland. I also believe Australia should throw off it's yoke of British rule and become a republic.

So despite actually having a LIKING to drink, THIS Johnny Foreigner will not be attending The Proms!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up, you old Fuddy Duddy. :P

I do agree with Oz becoming a republic though. I didn't really care about it before I came to the UK. But now I see how irrelevant that Union Jack is on our flag. England will always be part of Australia's heritage, but we need to move on. It's high-time we officially acknowledge our own distinct identity!

ainslie said...

doug... is this a... DATE????

The Frase said...

England will always be part of Australia's heritage, but the English will never accept Australia (or India, or New Zealand, or Fiji or Canada or even Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland) as part of theirs!
Thats been very clear since being over here. I don't think they realise or care/let alone take responsibilty for the amount of ill-effect the British Empire has had on these nations.

They see us as a totally seperate country and culture. So why do we insist on seeing oursleves as part of THEIR empire?

Re: The Proms. I can see how it would be a good giggle- but even MY hypocracy has limits and I don't trust myself to behave!

ainslie said...

the english dont even accept their own culture as part of their heritage. They dont value travel as a concept, and becuase they are in the 'centre' of the western world, they have hardly any curiosity about other cultures or places. a channel like sbs could never exist on free to air tv over here.

In australia, parochialism is constantly on our minds. are we cultured enough? are we important enough? are we educated and ethical enough? what does everyone else in the world think of us? this is great, we compare ourselves all the time, we can spot our weaknesses.

Londoners dont do that.

the londoners i know dont 'travel' like the aussies, kiwis, canadians etc do.

im only going on the londoners i know... but i have seen more of europe, the uk, england and even London than they have.

I have seen more of the suburb we work in than they have! they are naturally just not interested in other countries unless they have a beach. they just like holidaying, they are so unselfconscious. its true!

Anonymous said...

scott you simply MUST go.

I can see your hat right now...you know those ridiculous blow-up Kangaroos they have had at the World Cup, tied down to a fake (or real if you can) bobbys warhead hat (you know the absurd black numbers that look vaguely phallic).

Cause a scene you mongrel and have a fight or something. I know, paint a Portuguese flag on the roos back - yeh baby.

Your career will never be the same - coudl go either way! There'll surely be a spot on Parkinson and you will have a ticker-tape parade awaiting you at some point in the future at Sydney airport - guaranteed.

Luv ya
Robin ;>

The Frase said...

I mentioned to Ains that if it's near our departure date, we can go.

I'll get myself arrested and then deported! Then we can get refunded on my airfare!

PLAN!!

GAH! Holgate's women-magnet powers happening right under my nose!! In my own HOUSE!

But.... I'm pretty sure she meant "dave", and not "date". It was a typo. Trust me- it's happened before!

ainslie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ainslie said...

....and thats why i could never date you doug.

Dozka said...

You only despise silly hats when they are not in the shape of Vikings' horns.

The Frase said...

This is true.