Thursday, June 01, 2006

Bars

I’ve been to one or two bars in my time. Yes, yes. It IS true. Believe it or not.

I am a little bit of a fan of cocktails. A skilfully crafted alcoholic beverage that tastes good. I am not a fan of creamy or fruity cocktails. They are for girls and communists.

I think it was Big Daddy who told me that you should be able to see through a cocktail. And I think I agree.

I remember when I first moved to Hobart in 2000, there was NO WHERE you could go and get a cocktail. When I left 5 years later, there were numerous places- and some of them were pretty good.

Last weekend we went to a friend’s birthday drinks at a cocktail bar.
I am always impressed when they actually have GIN Martini’s listed on the cocktail menu and I was pleasantly surprised to see this place had the option of “shaken or stirred”. It’s been scientifically proven that this makes no difference to the drink, but it shows that they actually care about making it the way you want it.
I had 2 dry gin martinis and a Rob Roy. Very nice drinks they were too.
The other good thing about this place was the price. We made it to their Happy Hour. 2 for 1. Even outside of their happy hour, they were reasonably priced.

However while the drinks, music and price were all good, the clientele left something to be desired. Nothing ruins the atmosphere like a half-arsed drunken congo line that turns into a punch up.
Also the barman’s “friends” were rather forcibly cracking onto the female punters. It kind of ruins your drinking experience when you have to keep one eye on your friends ordering drinks at the bar to make sure everything was above board…


My motto: DRINK SMART!

No comments: