Instead of a proper recap of the year thats been, I thoughtI'd answer this meme that I stole from T-Bird the other week.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Asked someone to marry me. Had an art exhibition. Dj'ed in Melbourne. Visited Tonga. Went to a Catholic Easter mass.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
While I don't remember making any resolutions I had 2 distinct domestic projects this year and I achieved one of them. I'd like to actually do the 2nd project sometime this coming year along with a bunch more. If I can get most of them done, it should be a good year!
3. Did anyone you know give birth?
4. Did anyone you know die?
5. What countries did you visit?
New Zealand, Tonga and Fiji.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Financial stability. A dog.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I usually don't know what date it is that day, but I'll pick an easy one. 23rd of June. That was Ainslies birthday and I clearly remember what I did that day.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Some would say getting engaged. I'd also add I did some pretty great work. Had a few books published. Had a gallery exhibition. Went on a great OS trip. Spent some quality time with my family.
9. What was your biggest failure?
There were things that happened this year that I was pretty disapointed in, but I'm not sure if I should claim them as my personal failure. I dunno about this one. I guess I could've done more housework and I've kinda slipped off towards the end here on my motivation for my personal projects.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Baby got a diamond ring.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Ainslies. She kicked arse this year in terms of her career and creative goals!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Can't say who because I think they read this blog. No, it's not you.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, food and booze. Restocking my fishtank.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Working with The Wayward Toonists in the first half of the year. Lately it's been dancing, jazz music, getting fit and my fish. Although I'd knock a few of the "really" off. Those last things I'm only midly excited about.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Either "Your Feets Too Big" by Fats Waller, "Viper Mad" by Sidney Bechet "You Can't Rollerskate In A Buffalo Herd" by Roger Miller or "Rocketman" by ELton John.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder, thinner or fatter, richer or poorer?
Sadder, thinner and poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Working. Although when I was in my busy periods I think I was doing the equivelant of 2 jobs. But it's be nice if it panned out more evenly.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Waiting for people to get back to me.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Up in Sydney. Christmas Eve and morning no doubt with the immediate family and then the big lunch with the extended family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
True Blood, The Wire, Flight of the Conchords, Entourage, Angel, Battlestar Gallactica & Louis Theroux.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I ain't no player-hater. Feel me?
26. What was the best book you read?
True History of the Kelly Gang. Maybe.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Fats Waller, Sidney Bechet, Jimmy Liggins, the new Racounters album.
28. What did you want and get?
Cleared my credit card. Stayed out of the animation industry.
29. What did you want and not get?
To become the darling of the art world.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
In a year of mediocre film releases and where dvd tv series were king, Iron Man.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Went to the pub. 33, baby.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A bigger bank balance.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Shabby-chic. Just like those bars in Melbourne that decorate with old worn couches.
34. What kept you sane?
Watching my fish.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Moreland City Council elections.
37. Who did you miss?
All the pretty people.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
The Monday Nighters, the newborns, the lovers, the players.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
It's not easy being so good looking.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Enlightened and excited with a new priority
I shift my gears on a race to eternity
Feeling ever closer to a sense of humanity
rocking like a titan in a big bad mystery