Wednesday, May 17, 2006

comics



Last sunday afternoon one of my flatmates* and I popped up to Camden to visit the comic shop. I hadn't been into a comic shop in months.

I only came out with one, and that was SCOTT PILGRIM'S PRECIOUS LITTLE LIFE. I was wanting to buy a whole bunch more, but really..... there wasn't anything that looked interesting. And it wasn't a bad store. It was a really good one. I blame the COMICS INDUSTRY!

YOU SUCK!

But anyways, it was a nice way to spend a sunday. On the way home we popped into our local (the one with the dungeon cells) and had a few pints and shot the shit well into the afternoon.

I've just about finished reading the book. I really like the small "manga OGN" size. Makes it easy for reading on the tube. I also surprisingly dig his art style. That manga/western hybrid. Traces of Gunsmith Cats and Bone.
The character interaction read a lot like my DOLLBOY comics. Kind of snappy, but you get the feeling it was written based on real conversations. Except he does it better. More polish.
I've reached the end bit where they fight... and it is as I suspected... kinda lame and silly. Or it might be a generation thing.. computer game action...Youth...


*Small world trivia- My flatmate hails from Perth and she's actually a real good friend to Shane McCarthy (writer of Batman and other books)-whom I know through San Diego.

4 comments:

Mark Selan said...

I like Scott Pilgrim very much, but i'm not as old as you

and another fact - Shane McCarthy won some sort of Swing dance title.

The Frase said...

You're ALMOST as old as me, Mark. Must just be those extra few months that make all the differance.

And Shane won the AUstralian Helzapoppin' title. The Best of the Best (in the southern hemisphere)!

Anonymous said...

"Except he does it better. More polish."

More POLISH?? Does that mean there was more "ski"'s at the end of words??!! ;)

Look The Frase, everyone wants you home so just hurry the fuck up!

KK

The Frase said...

Come and get me, KK!